Whether you are an incoming freshman or a returning player, tackling a summer fitness packet can be daunting. Here are 10 tips on how to crush the challenge and return to competition in the best shape possible.
- Don’t Stress. Remember, everyone is in the same boat–every dedicated athlete you know is going to have to take on a fitness packet this summer!. It is completely doable and there are tons of others out there you can reach out to if you start feeling overwhelmed. You’re not alone in this.
- Eat Well and Hydrate. Your body goes through a lot during summer training so make sure you’re eating well and fueling your body to get the most out of your workouts. The point of the packet is to grow, and growth is only possible if you have the right fuel and energy.
- Set a Schedule. It can be difficult to find the motivation to work out every single day. So start making your workouts a part of your daily routine. Set aside a specific time each day to do your packet to normalize that time as training time, until it becomes an ordinary part of your day..
- Find a Workout Buddy. Going back to what was mentioned above, you’re not alone in this. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by your packet it is likely you have a friend feeling the same way. If you can find a workout buddy, that’s a really quick and easy way to get some motivation going. If you can’t find anyone locally, texting a teammate about the workouts and how you’re feeling can work wonders.
- Keep in contact with your trainer. Your fitness packet isn’t designed to trick you, but if you haven’t had time in a gym with a professional trainer, you’re likely to have some questions. If you don’t understand something, reach out to your trainer who developed the packet. They’ll probably be happy to help you because they’d rather see you doing the workout correctly so you get the full benefit of an exercise (and stay uninjured).
- Plan ahead. If you’re using a packet, then you’re likely not on campus. With that being said, things can pop up like internships, jobs, vacations, and travel. Make sure you don’t let these things distract you from your workouts. Find out when you might be changing your routine, and plan to incorporate your packet into that change. If you’re on vacation somewhere without a gym, ask your trainer if they have bodyweight workouts you can do instead. If you are going to be traveling for a job or internship, figure out the best time of day to get your workout in, and where you will be able to do it. There are no excuses when you plan for everything!
- Make sure you’re practicing! A workout packet is for your body to get stronger and faster. It isn’t the end all be all of the training. Make sure you remember this is to use to make you better at your sport, but you still need to be practicing and playing. Keep training as you work through your fitness packet.
- Keep the end goal in mind. Remember what the packet is for. Some days it may feel like you are being forced to do the workouts, but remember that many people would love to be in your shoes. The packet is the start of a season playing high-level athletics, and that is something to motivate you!
- Sleep well. The body needs time to recover. Make sure you’re getting 8-9 hours of sleep every night.
- Stretch. You’re putting your body through a lot. The last thing you want is to overwork yourself and not take care of it. An injury would be a major setback and stretching prevents muscles from getting tight and increasing the odds of a muscle strain or pull.
Stick to these tips and you will definitely crush your fitness packet. Best of luck (and remember to have fun)!
Have an idea for a story or a question you need answered? Want to set up an interview with us? Email us at [email protected]