When taking your first call, or any call with a college coach, they will almost always end the conversation with, “Do you have any questions for me?” While saying “no” is an easy way out, that should NEVER be your response. Not only because it makes you look disinterested, but also because this is as much an interview for them as it is for you. You need to make sure this school will be a good fit for you.
That said, always come prepared with 2-3 questions based on your conversation. Even if the coach did a very thorough job explaining every aspect of the program, still have something to ask them at the end. Here are a list of questions that you can ask:
Hump Day Poll
- What made you choose to coach for __________ school?
- What are your team’s goals in the upcoming year?
- What does your recruiting class for my year look like?
- What is your recruiting timeline for my class?
- What’s the team’s style of play?
- How do you see me fitting into the team?
- What is your perspective on the team dynamic?
- What academic support is offered to athletes?
- Are there potential graduate degree options in the event I have to redshirt?
- What are your plans for me? Do you intend for me to redshirt or compete my first year?
- How much emphasis do you put on fitness? Is it the responsibility of the player or do you condition as a team?
- What fitness tests do you require?
- What does your future look like at _________ school? Do you plan to stay?
- What do the practices and practice schedule look like?
- What position-specific coaches do you have?
* Originally published on December 16, 2021, by Andrea Leitner