While on an official visit, it is crucial for you to figure out if the college you are visiting is the right fit for you. So whether you are a DI, DII, or DIII athlete, it is important to ask the coach questions. This will help to determine if the coach, culture, team, and academics are something that you are looking for in a school. We’ve included some questions that you can ask the coach; you can choose the ones that you think will fit your needs.
Related: Rate Your Facilities
- What position do you feel that I might play on your team?
- What type of athlete are you looking for?
- Do you feel that my skills will fit your coaching style? (assuming they watched you play)
- How many athletes are being recruited for my position?
- Where am I on your list of potential recruits for my position?
- Do freshmen typically play?
- Do you typically “redshirt” players, and if so can I redshirt my freshman year?
- How are redshirt players treated by other team members?
- Do I fit the physical requirements for my position? If not, what are you looking for?
- Will I receive a written contract?
Coach and Coaching Staff Questions
- This is an important question – When does your coaching contract end? Do you see yourself coaching here in 4 years?
- Is your emphasis on offense or defense during training and games or matches?
- What is the training program like in the off-season?
- During the season, what is a typical day like?
Related: Don't be shy. Rate Your Coaches
Hump Day Poll
- What percentage of your players on scholarship graduate in four years?
- What is the team’s GPA from last year?
- What is the typical class size?
- If an athlete needs academic support, what is your process? Do you have tutors, staff, or study hall requirements?
- Will I be allowed to make up tests and classes because of my competition schedule?
- What are your policies for missed practices or being late due to class commitments?
- How many players take advantage of your academic help?
- How many credits are required for me to keep my financial aid/scholarships?
- Do the players on the team live in the same dorm?
- As a student-athlete will I be required to live on campus for all four years?
- What state or region do most of your players come from?
- How many games are there in a season?
- How much travel will the team be doing throughout the year?
- What tournaments do you play in?
- When does the season begin and end?
- What are my off-season responsibilities?
- What is team chemistry like?
Finances and Scholarships
- What expenses does the financial aid and/or scholarship package cover? [Tuition, room, board, books, special assessments, supplies]?
- What type of academic scholarships are available?
- What happens to my financial aid if I am injured?
- What are my opportunities for employment/internship while I’m a student?
- What guidelines do you use to determine the annual renewal of scholarship?
- What medical expenses does the college cover? Do I need to have another insurance?
* Originally published on August 27, 2021, by Keirsten Sires